Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Friday, April 20, 2018

Matron's New Garden

We've arrived!  Just last Friday Daisy and I moved into our beautiful house in the New Forest, Hampshire.  I am looking forward to sharing the beginnings of my new veggie garden.  Another exciting devlopment here is that my broadband speeds are much better, so whereas my old house took 15 minutes to upload a photo, here it is a mere 15 seconds!
 Straight down to business!  The main feature that swayed my decision to buy this house was the beautiful garden with two full size eating apple trees.  You can see from these photos that they are in need of some pruning.  We are just getting to the end of the season where you can do pruning before they spring into life for the Summer.
 I have found a wonderful local gardener who has good knowledge of how to prune trees rather than just hack away at them.  It is an art as well, deciding which branches stay and which go. You can see that many of these branches overlap, cross each other and grow inwards.  Apparently with a well pruned tree, a bird is supposed to be able to fly through the tree without hitting a branch!
 These lovely old trees are full of character, as well as a covering of moss and lichen.
The growth of lichens are a good sign that I have much cleaner air down here than I did in London.   The trees are going to get their first prune in the next couple of days so I am itching to get started on the garden.
Previous owners filled up a compost bin with last years' windfalls - so I think I am going to start a new compost heap!  Oh what fun!

2 Comments:

At 5:28 PM, Blogger Shaheen said...

I am very much looking forward to reading about the beginnings of your new veggie garden. And wow, what a load of apples in the compost bin, shame really. I hope when you harvest them, you will make more use of them.

 
At 12:21 PM, Blogger Carrie said...

IT'S PERFECT!
Yikes, I am so happy for you 2 girls, with your cleaner air, your adventure just starting and such wonderful mature trees in your garden. I hope they taste wonderful - by the looks of that black bin you could start a side line in apple compotes, haha.

I wish you every best wish and the best of health to enjoy your new chapter xxx

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>